Hostbased and extensions/new RSA Public Key Algorithms.

Stef Bon stefbon at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 23:44:19 AEST 2018

Hi,

as described at:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-curdle-rsa-sha2-12

there are extensions to the default rsa public key algorithm.

I've got two questions:

1. how do I have to see these new public key algorithms?
Are they extensions to one algorithm (rsa of course) like a dialect or
are they completly new pk algorithms?
When I look at the output of ssh 192.168.2.3 -Q I see them listed
under "pubkeyacceptedkeytypes" as different keytype.
But actually it's also like an option/extension of rsa, not a
completly different algorithm. How do you look at it?

2. these extensions are possibly used when doing publik key userauth.
And not with hostbased userauth? I haven't tried it yet to just
provide the "rsa-sha2-256" string in the SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_REQUEST.
Does it work?

Thanks in advance,

Stef Bon