OpenSSH 7.7 t1 script breakage

Colin Watson cjwatson at debian.org
Sat Apr 14 08:15:01 AEST 2018

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 10:29:13PM +0000, Josh Soref wrote:
> Randall S. Becker <rsbecker at nexbridge.com> wrote:
> > -REGRESSTMP = "$(PWD)/regress"
> > +REGRESSTMP = `pwd`
> >
> >  tests interop-tests t-exec unit: regress-prep regress-binaries $(TARGETS)
>
> It looks like the problem is that pwd is in uppercase, not so much the
> distinction between $() and ``.

I think you're tripping over the difference between make and shell
syntax here.  In make, $(PWD) is a variable reference, not command
substitution as in shell, and will work provided that a PWD environment
variable exists, which in practice will depend mainly on the calling
shell.  $(pwd) would only work if a pwd environment variable exists,
which is rare.

My preferred way to write this would be REGRESSTMP = $(CURDIR)/regress
(without the extraneous double-quotes, which are going to behave
confusingly when substituted into a double-quoted string further down).

--
Colin Watson                                       [cjwatson at debian.org]