openssh 7.6 and 7.7 on Oracle Linux 7 (compiled from source) doesn't start correctly with systemd

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Wed Aug 22 21:23:11 AEST 2018

kevin martin wrote:
> Latest Oracle Linux (7.5) and openssh 7.4 is bundled as an rpm.  this runs
> fine.  if I download openssh 7.6 or 7.7, compile it with the flags
> --with-pam and --with-pid-dir=/var/run and install it to /usr/local, modify
> the sshd.service file to point to /usr/local/sbin/sshd, the start hangs.
> The sshd.service files looks like this:

..
> [Service]
> Type=notify

..
> it seems like openssh isn't notifying systemd that it's started.

I don't think the portable OpenSSH source has any systemd integration,
so that is what you should expect.

--8<-- systemd.service(5)
OPTIONS
..
Type=
..
	Behavior of notify is similar to simple; however, it is expected
	that the daemon sends a notification message via sd_notify(3) or an
	equivalent call when it has finished starting up.
-->8--

I guess that Oracle has patched sshd to call sd_notify() and thus
introduced dependency on the systemd libraries for sshd. I don't
think that's a good idea at all.

To run upstream OpenSSH-portable set Type=simple and be done with it.

//Peter