openssh 7.6 and 7.7 on Oracle Linux 7 (compiled from source) doesn't start correctly with systemd

kevin martin ktmdms at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 02:48:46 AEST 2018

While I appreciate the need to code it and test it regularly, Peter wrote a
bit of notify code and provided it to Damien to essentially do what the API
code into systemd already does seemingly which seems like remaking the
wheel to me, and would still require ongoing maintenance and testing.  The
systemd API is developed and maintained external to openssh and is there
specifically to make it easier for apps that want to become daemons to be
able to be used effectively in the systemd environment.  I hated the fact
that most flavors of Linux moved to systemd from the init system but it's
what we, the end users (companies with 100's of thousands of Linux
instances running) have to live with and to have Redhat make changes to
*your* code to include systemd enhancements (and other vendors that don't
necessarily take their codebase from Redhat) I would think would/could lead
to issues (like this one) ongoing.  If *you as the developers included the
API access as a configurable option then *we the consumer could move to
your newer codebase products sooner and get the enhancements that you folks
work so diligently to make in your application which is a win-win for all
of us.

---

Regards,

Kevin Martin