OpenSSH 7.8p1 drops SSH connection with "Broken Pipe" IMMEDIATELY after successful login

Ohad Frenkel ohadfjunkbox at outlook.com
Wed Aug 29 05:36:40 AEST 2018

Hi.

Environment:

  *   OS: Antergos Linux (Fully updated daily) (Running as a guest on VM).
  *   OpenSSH: 7.8p1

Immediately upon creating a successful SSH tunnel login, the connection is dropped with the "packet_write_wait: Connection to X.X.X.X port 22: Broken pipe" error.

I've verified the issue is due to OpenSSH 7.8p1 in the following ways:

  *   Use a different, older client (i.e. the Windows host machine's PuTTy client, which I haven't updated god-knows-when).
  *   Downgrade the Antergos guest to OpenSSH 7.7p2

Both these case produced a working SSH connection.

Reproduce effort:

  *   Upgrade SSH client to OpenSSH 7.8p1
  *   Try to SSH into a server
     *   Some options:
     *   demo at test.rebex.net (use "password" for password)
     *   Git - any remote operation (i.e. pull, push, fetch, clone...)

The expected behavior is a consistent SSH connection.
The actual behavior is that immediately after the authentication is successful the connection is dropped with "packet_write_wait: Connection to X.X.X.X port 22: Broken pipe" error occurs, the connection is dropped (and no work can be done, e.g. clone/push to Git remote repo).