RFE: OpenSSH Support for PKCS11 Funneling to PAM for Kerberos/PKINIT

Alon Bar-Lev alon.barlev at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 10:52:29 AEDT 2018

OK... So you have an issue...

First, you need to delegate your smartcard to remote machine, probably
using unix socket redirection managed by openssh. This can be done in
many levels...
1. Delegate USB device, this will enable only exclusive usage of the
smartcard by remote machine.
2. Delegate PC/SC, this will enable sharing the reader between local
and remote machines, rdesktop is using this method.
3. Delegate PKCS#11, this is the preferred method, however, there is
no maintained solution to do so.
4. Delegate the ssh-agent and implement a minimal PKCS#11 provider on
top to support PKINIT requirements.
5. If your card is gpg supported, use gpg-agent as ssh-gent and
delegate gpg-agent to remote and use scute[1] as PKCS#11 provider,
however, scute is unmaintained.

The problem is that non of these methods have a good solution... But
once you have done that, you can use PKINIT at remote to access your
local smartcard.

If you choose to implement minimal PKCS#11 on top of ssh-agent you
should use file based X.509 certificate to perform the signature.
Actually, it once supported that when Roumen Petrov and I worked on
the PKCS#11 implementation for OpenSSH which was not merged
eventually, now I am unsure if the agent is patched to allow that[2],
you can check this out maybe the patched agent enables you to perform
access the X.509 certificate as well, so you can implement a nice
provider on top of the patched ssh-agent.

Regards,
Alon

[1] https://github.com/gpg/scute
[2] https://roumenpetrov.info/secsh/index.html