RFC 8305 Happy Eyeballs in OpenSSH

Josh Soref jsoref at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 11:16:32 AEDT 2018

The never abort path won't work. Some SSH systems rely on 2FA/OTP, which
means that there isn't any particular thing that can be reused for the two
sessions (passwords/SSH keys).

Unless ssh wanted to offer a way to say "ohai, that's also me, here's
proof, I'm going now". Which, I think is probably what may be required. And
yes, that would essentially involve a server change, probably adding a
magical credential handler designed for this purpose which allows a token
issued within the past 5(?) minutes to be provided which results in logging
a "happy eyeballs successful connection; disconnect".

I'm sorry I haven't given an absolute answer on IPv6, I'm fairly confident
I'm right about the general problem, but enough of my systems don't support
IPv6 that I can't easily test this. I could probably pay AWS or GCE for two
disparate systems, but the time to set this up of fairly prohibitive.

This stuff does matter to me for a few reasons, I'd like to deploy more
IPv6, I've actually hit a number of rough edges involving happy eyeballs
(DNS stack handling of split horizon can result in some really terrible
outcomes -- especially for SSH, and especially with sshguard), and I
contribute to logwatch...

(I think I still have a big patch pending to OpenSSH...)