Legacy option for key length?

David Newall openssh at davidnewall.com
Tue Jan 2 16:50:24 AEDT 2018

On 02/01/18 16:05, Peter Moody wrote:
>> I think a very good question which needs to be asked is, what value does
>> disallowing shorter keys bring over severely deprecating them
> like you said, they have only been severely deprecated. further, you
> have been told exactly how to enable them, here
> https://lists.mindrot.org/pipermail/openssh-unix-dev/2018-January/036535.html

No, these shorter keys have been disallowed.  There is no way to enable
them, other than to modify the software.

> you seem to want someone else to do all the work for you.

That is not true, and it was rather mean of you to say it.  I am willing
to all the work, but there's no point doing that if it's just going to
be rejected out-of-hand, which seems to be the case.

Your position (per reference above) is that allowing use of shorter keys
is irresponsible.  It's not.  It is irresponsible to break other
people's equipment (which is what you want to do.)  It is irresponsible
(for openssh) to push people to other software.