SSHD and PAM

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Jan 4 02:20:33 AEDT 2018

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 03, 2018 at 04:03:39PM +0100, Michael Ströder wrote:
> Sudarshan Soma wrote:
> > Does sssd/NSS has  a way to fetch user names from sources like
> > RADIUS/TACACS  server?
> My impression is that while this might be theoretically possible, nobody
> does this. Especially it's not clear to me how you would push group
> membership to the system. And AFAICS in case of TACACS+ there's also
> only a single "role" available (translate this to single group).

Just for the sake of completeness:  TACACS+ can return arbitrary
key-value pairs, so you can build whatever authorization / grouping
scheme on top of TACACS+ that you want.

Not sure anyone has done that before, so this advice is still valid:

> So the usual answer is: Use LDAP.

... as more people have done it, thus more software supports it, and
things are more likely to "just work".

gert
--
now what should I write here...