Does anyone use UsePrivilegedPort=yes or setuid ssh(1) ?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Jul 6 17:24:34 AEST 2018

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 06, 2018 at 03:58:30PM +1000, Darren Tucker wrote:
> Does anyone use UsePrivilegedPort or have ssh(1) setuid, and if so for
> what use case?
[..]
> So, does anyone use these and if so why?  If it's for low numbered
> ports, there are safer ways to do that these days (CAP_NET_BIND or
> similar if you have it, or a small setuid ProxyCommand).

I think we have one customer connection where their firewall admin
thinks "it is more secure that way" - read, we can't ssh in if we come
from high ports.

OTOH, thanks for the pointer with ProxyCommand - it's a very specific
niche problem with a viable workaround, so I can't think of any
remaining reason why we'd want suid ssh anymore ;-)

gert