vanilla build of 7.7p1 release on linux/4.17 fails with gcc8 @ "/usr/bin/ld: unrecognized option '-Wl,-z,retpolineplt'"

Darren Tucker dtucker at dtucker.net
Fri Jun 8 11:08:30 AEST 2018

On 8 June 2018 at 10:52, PGNet Dev <pgnet.dev at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> So, there's a problem for OpenSSH build with spec'ing LD=/usr/bin/ld ?

in this particular case, apparently yes.  not generally, though.

[...]
> What's *intended* re: openssh?  Support for LD=ld or only =gcc, or undef'd ?

Well the intent is you should be able to set CC and LD to whatever you
want as long as they work.  In this case, the OSSH_CHECK_LDFLAG_LINK
test invokes autoconf's AC_LINK_IFELSE with uses CC not LD.  I'm not
sure what to do about it yet though.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at dtucker.net)
GPG key 11EAA6FA / A86E 3E07 5B19 5880 E860  37F4 9357 ECEF 11EA A6FA (new)