Informing the SSH agent of the target user at server

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Wed Mar 21 11:00:24 AEDT 2018

you should check out https://github.com/StanfordSNR/guardian-agent

ATM it's hard because ssh only contacts the agent when it needs it and
drops the connection immediately when done. To "pin" an agent request
to a remote identity we'd either need to make the connections persistent
and add an extension to inform the agent of the remote identity OR
do this on every request.  The latter is probably easier.

I.e. have ssh inject a

SSH_AGENTC_EXTENSION "remote-id at openssh.com" string("user at host")

before each agent request (ssh would need to eat the reply too) and the
agent uses that to filter the keys it is prepared to send. Specifying
which hosts a given key is allowed for could be done with a key
constraint.

This is backwards-compatible with old agents; if an agent doesn't support
the extension, then it would continue working as usual, offering all keys.

It also limits the modifications needed to ssh. At present, ssh doesn't
have any knowledge of what happens over the agent socket and, critically,
doesn't inspect or modify messages there. This design would have it do a
one-shot transaction whenever it opens the socket and then it can go back
to not caring what happens there afterwards.

The downside of this design is that it blurs the trust boundary for
ssh-agent; no longer would it be making decisions solely on its own - it
would be trusting ssh not to lie to it about the remote destination.

I had more grandiose plans to allow each sshd to sign agent requests
with the hostkey as they passed through, to allow some sort of chain of
trust. Unfortunately that would require fairly far reaching changes to
the SSH protocol to enable binding those signatures to the transport
instance over which they occur.