Suggestion: Deprecate SSH certificates and move to X.509 certificates

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Fri May 25 13:55:35 AEST 2018

No way, sorry.

The OpenSSH certificate format was significantly motivated by X.509's
syntactic and semantic complexity, and the consequent attack surface in
the sensitive pre-authentication paths of our code. We're very happy to
be able to offer certificate functionality while avoiding the numerous
vulnerabilities that X.509/ASN.1 parsing would have brought.

If you really want X.509 certificates, then I'd recommend Roumen
Petrov's patches: https://roumenpetrov.info/secsh/ -- he's done a
fine job of maintaing these over an extended period of time.

-d