openSSH versions

Roee Agami ragami at bluecedar.com
Wed Nov 7 05:34:02 AEDT 2018

It helps a lot! Thanks very much!

Roee.

On 11/6/18, 1:19 PM, "mdb at juniper.net on behalf of Mark D. Baushke" <mdb at juniper.net> wrote:

    Hi Roee,

    Roee writes:

    > That the versions always have a <number> and a <number>p1.

    Yes. Use the <number> version if you are on an OpenBSD, NetBSD, or
    FreeBSD system.

    Use the <number>p1 version if you are on any other operating system.

    > Does the p1 indicate a patch?

    No.

    > So does it mean that <number> and <number>p1 are two different versions?

    Yes, but only because the <number>p1 will work on non-OpenBSD systems.

    The <number>p1 uses the GNU autoconf and GNU automake mechanisms to
    allow the users to configure the OpenSSH package in a way that will work
    with their current operating system.

    You may choose to use <number>p1 releases on NetBSD or FreeBSD, but I
    would recommend NOT using it on OpenBSD where the <number> is primarily
    targeted to run.

    > It doesn't describe the differences between the two in case they are
    > different versions.

    No protocol or functional differences should exist modulo the
    capabilities of the operating system you are using with it.

    Try using './configure --help' to see the range of options available.

    > I would appreciate some clarification.

    Normally, if there is a bug in OpenSSH it will impact both BSD and
    portable versions. This will bump the x.y release number.

    However, if there is a bug in OpenSSH portable only which arises for
    a particular subset of operating systems, then a <number>p2 release may
    be made.

    I hope this helps your understanding.

    	Enjoy!
    	-- Mark