please remove permission check that disallows private-group access.

Jochen Bern Jochen.Bern at binect.de
Tue Oct 23 21:38:26 AEDT 2018

On 10/22/2018 11:55 PM, Blumenthal, Uri - 0553 - MITLL wrote:
> Not so fast. If a home directory is on an NFS or AFS filesystem, where would
> that "determined sysadmin" copy the keys to?

If there's not only a shared $HOME between two userids but also remote
mounts, you have THREE security contexts to keep track of:
localuser at centralhost, networkuser at centralhost and
networkuser at whereverelsetheHOMEismountedto. Since all *other* machines
would need to be expected to use the standard $HOME/.ssh to find stuff
in, I would give serious thoughts to compiling OpenSSH on centralhost to
default to $HOME/.ssh-%u or somesuch instead. It takes but *one* user
who'ld like to keep his configs *separate* to make the point of such a
setup.

> Not to mention the question of what business that "determined sysadmin" has
> touching my keys?

Oh, I *would* prefer not to. And then I look at how many of our users
actually stick to established security procedures ("I've put your
[security relevant data including personal keypair] *there*, please
*delete* it off that server once you've downloaded it") and ...

Regards,
--
Jochen Bern
Systemingenieur