access remote host aliases with proxyjump

Chentao Credungtao chentaocredungtao at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 6 22:49:04 AEST 2019

Hi,

I think it would be a good idea to allow the use of remote host aliases
when using ProxyJump (or maybe it's already doable and there's something
I don't get ?)

On my laptop I have the following config, which works fine :

Host bastion
 ?????? Hostname bast.example.net
 ?????? User john

Host somehost
 ?????? ProxyJump bastion
 ?????? Hostname yellowstone.example.local
 ?????? Port 15200
 ?????? User john

Now, on bastion I have already defined the following alias :

Host somealias
 ?????? Hostname yellowstone.example.local
 ?????? Port 15200
 ?????? User john

So, I thought on my local machine I could just do :

Host somehost
 ?????? ProxyJump bastion
 ?????? Hostname somealias

But it doesn't work :

channel 0: open failed: administratively prohibited: open failed
stdio forwarding failed

So, if I get it right when using ProxyJump you have to define the whole
connection infos of the final target, even though it's already defined
on the bastion. Any idea how to take advantage of the ?? somealias ??
alias defined on the bastion ?

Thanks