securing a hop

Carl Karsten carl at nextdayvideo.com
Sun Dec 29 15:06:35 AEDT 2019

for the A nat B C connect back to A using -R 2222:localhost:22 pattern,
(see diagram at https://github.com/daradib/sidedoor)
I want to limit B's user to just what is needed to do the port forward.

I am hoping this is documented, but I can't find much more than "you should
future out how to secre it."

I setup an ansible playbook to instal and configure sidedoor on A. I have
written some docs on securing B which is mostly:

1. append to /etc/ssh/sshd_config (user is from sidedoor.yml)
Match User {user}
    MaxSessions 60
    PasswordAuthentication no
    ChrootDirectory %h
    X11Forwarding no
    AllowTcpForwarding yes
    PermitTunnel no
    PermitTTY no
    Banner none
    ForceCommand /bin/false

https://salsa.debian.org/debconf-video-team/ansible/merge_requests/184

Those options are from me reading the docs and collecting tips i found on
internet.  A friend pointed out "be aware sftp is likely enabled."

Once I have something solid, hopefully someone can find a place for it to
live and projects like mine and sidedoor can reference it.

--
Carl K