Modifying 7.9p1 to use PAM

CLOSE Dave Dave.Close at us.thalesgroup.com
Fri Feb 8 11:41:56 AEDT 2019

I deal with a large number of internal machines that have not been
updated for a while and which I am not at liberty to update. They run
Fedora 20 which includes openssh 6.4p1. For various reasons, I'd like to
put a more recent version on these machines but, of course, no package
is available for that.

Trying the portable version of openssh 7.9p1, I found that I can easily
make it work by building my own package with rpmbuild. But it appears
that the program is not actually built, just packaged, which leaves me
with only the default options selected. As this is Fedora, I need to
enable PAM. Has anyone done something similar? Can anyone offer some
clues on how to proceed?
--
	Dave Close

 "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which
  escape those who dream only by night." --Edgar Allan Poe