(sslh) VPN over SSH: State of the art?

Thomas Güttler guettliml at thomas-guettler.de
Fri Jan 4 22:20:06 AEDT 2019

Am 04.01.19 um 11:39 schrieb Jan Bergner:
> Hello Thomas,
>
> this is probably not what you had in mind, but there is a way to use SSH
> and OpenVPN on the same port.
>
> Have a look at this:
> https://github.com/yrutschle/sslh
>
> SSLH can be configured to redirect SSH and OpenVPN traffic (and some
> other protocols) to different destinations according to the type of
> traffic. So, you could use SSH and an OpenVPN over TCP via the same
> external port.
> In my experience, SSLH is available on most mayor linux distributions
> via the official repositories and configuration is rather simple. (In
> all fairness, it can get tricky if you need transparent proxying in
> combination with a firewall.)
>
> I hope this is useful for you.
Hi Jan and other ssh-experts,

yes, I that's not what I had in mind. But why not? I think it is a valid solution.

I am a bit afraid: If setting it up fails, we loose control over our remote machines,
since ssh is the only permanent connection we have.

Thank you,
   Thomas

--
Thomas Guettler http://www.thomas-guettler.de/