Questions about OpenSSH public key authentication details

Darren Tucker dtucker at dtucker.net
Mon Jan 14 10:58:10 AEDT 2019

On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 at 03:43, Vistassja Williams (132944w) <
132944w at acadiau.ca> wrote:

> [...] Is there anyone here who can provide me
> with a detailed description of how authentication occurs once both the
> ssh client and the server start communicating?  (A link or copy of a
> document describing this would be fine.)
>
> I can find high-level descriptions of the protocol in RFC 4252,

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4253#section-6.6 describes the specifics for
RSA and DSA (aka DSS) public key methods.

https://www.openssh.com/specs.html lists the specifications that OpenSSH
implements.  You should probably browse through at least the ones listed
under "Core RFCs".

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at dtucker.net)
GPG key 11EAA6FA / A86E 3E07 5B19 5880 E860  37F4 9357 ECEF 11EA A6FA (new)