sftp Vs scp

Josh Soref jsoref at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 01:53:56 AEDT 2019

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> For me it's a muscle memory thingy.  Before even thinking of using
> sftp or rsync, my fingers already typed `scp -rp '.

I can understand that, I have the same behavior. I default to scp but at
some point I realize that I should use rsync.

I'm tempted to invite you (or someone else worried about this) to write an
`scp` script that just wraps `rsync`and for anything it doesn't support,
have it abort. See how many flags you need to support/how easily that is in
order to drop in that wrapper.

(I might write it, although I suspect not for a while.)

Note: I don't have any particular horses in this race. I use all three
(scp, SFTP, and rsync). I've sent patches to OpenSSH. I currently have a
bug I'm working on fixing in rsync (it's for an obscure flag for which I
don't think scp would have an equivalent).