sftp Vs scp

Jim Knoble jmknoble at pobox.com
Fri Jan 25 07:51:25 AEDT 2019

On 2019-01-24 12:26, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 12:00:48PM -0800, Jim Knoble wrote:
>> 4. 'scp' goes away, and a new 's'-command[*] is created that does file transfer via CLI, possibly using SFTP.
>>
>> The old proprietary SSHv2 did #4, with the new command called 'scp2', and a long tail for the transition while 'scp' and 'scp2' coexisted.
> Wasn't that part of generally adding "2" as a suffix to all their
> command names when adding v2 protocol support?

Yes; however, the 'scp2' command was also transitioned to use the SFTP
protocol at the same time, as I recall.SSH.COM's website implies that
(but does not seem to provide the history):
https://www.ssh.com/ssh/sftp/#sec-SCP-Command-on-Linux .  I'm unable to
find any other historical reference offhand that backs up my memory, so
take that for what it's worth.  That said, it's not a bad idea. (-:

--

jim knoble