Feature request: allow chrooted directory writable by others

David Newall openssh at davidnewall.com
Mon Jul 15 20:43:44 AEST 2019

On 15/7/19 7:54 pm, Ramón García wrote:
> I am trying to setup a file server using the SFTP protocol with OpenSSH.
>
> I am in trouble because sshd refuses to chroot to a directory that is
> writable by users other than the owner.

I doubt that you need the root to be writeable.  Put your files inside a
globally writeable sub-directory.  This allows you to have a dev, bin,
lib, and whatever, within your chroot, without leaving yourself open
someone tearing you a new one.

If somebody says, "but I need to write to root", your go-to answer is
"no, you don't; and get off my lawn."

Also, look at rssh.