Feature request: allow chrooted directory writable by others

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 11:52:13 AEST 2019

> On 2019-07-15 at 12:24 +0200, Ramón García wrote:
> > I am in trouble because sshd refuses to chroot to a directory that is
> > writable by users other than the owner.
> [...]
> >                                              And when one has to work
> > with a speficied directory layout, required for compatibility with
> > existing applications, it makes it very hard to implement a sftp file
> > server.

Simply put: tough. If you have to have non-root ownership and/or write
permission to the top of the chroot cage, then don't use SFTP. Use
ftps, supported by vsftpd, which has a different security model and
suports an enitely empty workspace fo FTP-like uploads or downloads.
For Linux and UNIX systems, the "vsftpd" daemon does this very well. A
genuine ftp or ftps server does not have some of the powerful features
of an an SFTP server, but can handle symlinks considerably better.