sftp client: upload from pipe

Adam Osuchowski adwol at zonk.pl
Sun Jun 23 07:13:07 AEST 2019

Damien Miller wrote:
> IIRC it's there because reads on named pipes can hang if nothing is
> attached to them

And what is the problem with that? It should break nothing if this named
pipe was passed to sftp explicitly (I'm not talking about recursively
uploading of directory that contains named pipes). Besides, there is
O_NONBLOCK if it would be very necessary.

> and because reading from devices can have side-effects (classic example
> being /dev/mt)

As above, what is the problem with that? Nobody tells anybody to use
sftp with such devices. Sometimes, It could even be desirable if e.g.
somebody would like to backup content of device on remote host via sftp.
Again as above, I'm not talking about recursively uploading of directory
that contains devices; only devices that are explicitly specified in
command. If it would be a big problem, it's ok for me that sftp could
allow uploading regular files and pipes/fifos only.