openssh interface

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Fri May 24 01:12:32 AEST 2019

Gorka Lendrino Vela wrote:
> I wonder if it is possible to update the
> openssh server to implement a specific handler/callback that catch this
> message and then call a C/C++ code.
>
> In short, is there any interface provided by the openssh server to add new
> functionality or call a dynamic library that implements this functionality?

It's an important design goal to keep the sshd process small and simple.

So no, there's no interface to dynamically add code, and I doubt there
will ever be one.

Just create your own program on the server that does what you want
and start it from a remote system either with "ssh server yourprogram"
or alternatively you can configure the program to be a subsystem[1],
in which case you start it using "ssh -s server yourprogram".

See "Subsystem" in the sshd man page.

//Peter