scp, sftp, and special characters in filenames

Stuart Henderson stu at spacehopper.org
Mon Nov 4 23:25:43 AEDT 2019

On 2019/11/04 14:28, Darren Tucker wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Nov 2019 at 14:07, David Newall <openssh at davidnewall.com> wrote:
>
> > [about scp] That's just awful, and I should have
> > thought it was not at all necessary.  Am I missing something?
> >

> If you're saying that the scp protocol is an unfixable mess then the
> openssh team has been agreeing[0] with you for at least a decade and a
> half.  We fix what we can, but some parts can't be fixed.
>
> [0] eg https://marc.info/?l=openssh-unix-dev&m=104157774216425&w=2

At various times I've tried to use sftp instead of scp but it never lasted
long. Remembering to type sftp instead of scp isn't so bad, but file
uploads are really hard to work with, I don't think it's possible to get
good finger memory for "echo 'put somefile' | sftp hostname:/tmp/" (and
it's even worse when copying out multiple files).

I'm sure it's already been considered, but from a user perspective it
would be very convenient if we could have essentially the command-line
interface of scp(1) (with divergence for filename escaping) but using
the SFTP protocol.