Re: “Stripped-down” SSH (no encryption or authentication, just forwarding)

Demi M. Obenour demiobenour at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 02:34:11 AEDT 2019

On 2019-10-16 04:16, Jochen Bern wrote:
> On 10/16/2019 02:04 AM, Demi M. Obenour wrote:
>> As I mentioned in another email, what I am really looking for is
>> multiplexing multiple socket connections over a single full-duplex
>> stream.
>
> As far as I know, SSH's forwarding allows only one kind of "socket",
> namely, TCP connections - as opposed to, e.g., UNIX sockets.

SSH does allow forwarding AF_UNIX sockets.  The solution I came up
with uses that ability.

> If that's what you mean, my recommendation would be to establish the
> "trunk" connection not with OpenSSH, but OpenVPN.

OpenVPN still requires network access, which I would prefer to
avoid here.  In some of my use-cases, the VM I am connecting to has
no network access at all.  In other cases, I might only be able to
connect via a bastion host.

Sincerely,

Demi