ssh client is setting O_NONBLOCK on a pipe shared with other processes

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Mon Sep 16 13:36:16 AEST 2019

AFAIK failing to set nonblock on ttys is a blurry mixture of legacy
behaviour, hack and bug.

It's legacy behaviour because it dates back to ssh 1.x when the ssh
process interacted with at most a single tty. This is no longer the
case due to connection multiplexing.

It's a bug for the same reason - a ssh blocked on tty writes that
is not able to service IO to other multiplexed connections is not
behaving well.

It's a hack because it may provide something approximating human-
friendly behaviour when ssh is only interacting with a single tty.
In this case, if the tty is behind then stalling on writes provides
some backpressure to the peer. I'm not sure whether this has been
properly analysed or even whether it makes sense these days.

In any case, disabling nonblock for non-ttys is not what we want to do.

-d