Parallel transfers with sftp (call for testing / advice)

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 08:34:03 AEST 2020

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 11:31 AM Cyril Servant <cyril.servant at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, I'd like to share with you an evolution I made on sftp.

It *sounds* like you should be using rparallelized rsync over xargs.
Partial sftp or scp transfers are almost inevitable in builk transfers
over a crowded network, and sftp does not have good support for
"mirroring", only for copying content.

See https://stackoverflow.com/questions/24058544/speed-up-rsync-with-simultaneous-concurrent-file-transfers

> I'm working at CEA (Commissariat à l'énergie atomique et aux énergies
> alternatives) in France. We have a compute cluster complex, and our customers
> regularly need to transfer big files from and to the cluster. Each of our front
> nodes has an outgoing bandwidth limit (let's say 1Gb/s each, generally more
> limited by the CPU than by the network bandwidth), but the total interconnection
> to the customer is higher (let's say 10Gb/s). Each front node shares a
> distributed file system on an internal high bandwidth network. So the contention
> point is the 1Gb/s limit of a connection. If the customer wants to use more than
> 1Gb/s, he currently uses GridFTP. We want to provide a solution based on ssh to
> our customers.
>
> 2. The solution
>
> I made some changes in the sftp client. The new option "-n" (defaults to 0) sets
> the number of extra channels. There is one main ssh channel, and n extra
> channels. The main ssh channel does everything, except the put and get commands.
> Put and get commands are parallelized on the n extra channels. Thanks to this,
> when the customer uses "-n 5", he can transfer his files up to 5Gb/s. There is
> no server side change. Everything is made on the client side.

While the option sounds useful for niche cases, I'd be leery of
partial transfers and being compelled to replicate content to handle
partial transfers. rsync has been very good, for years, in completing
partial transfers.