Parallel transfers with sftp (call for testing / advice)

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Mon Apr 13 07:34:53 AEST 2020

Cyril Servant wrote:
> >> 2. The solution
> >>
> >> I made some changes in the sftp client. The new option "-n" (defaults to 0) sets
> >> the number of extra channels. There is one main ssh channel, and n extra
> >> channels. The main ssh channel does everything, except the put and get commands.
> >> Put and get commands are parallelized on the n extra channels. Thanks to this,
> >> when the customer uses "-n 5", he can transfer his files up to 5Gb/s. There is
> >> no server side change. Everything is made on the client side.
> I can fully understand this. In our case, the network is not really crowded, as
> customers are generally using research / educational links. Indeed, this is
> totally a niche case, but still a need for us. The main use case is putting data
> you want to process into the cluster, and when the job is finished, getting the
> output of the process. There is rarely the need for synchronising files, except
> for the code you want to execute on the cluster, which is considered small
> compared to the data. rsync is the obvious choice for synchronising the code,
> but not for putting / getting huge amounts of data.

When I read through the thread immediately I thought this would have a
good chance of speeding the transfer up by simulating sharing of the
bandwidth through unfair sharing.  Which may still be fair.  But that
was my thought.

With some simplification for discussion...  A network connection that
is handling multiple connections will share the bandwidth among those
connections.  Let's assume every connection is using whatever the
maximum packet size is for that link and not worry about efficiency of
different sized packets on the link.  The effect is that if two
connections are streaming then each will get half of the available
bandwidth.  And if 10 are streaming then each will get 1/10th of the
bandwidth.  And if 100 then each will get 1/100th.

Which means that *if* a connection is mostly operating near'ish
capacity then a user can get more of it by using more parallel
connections.  As scheduling walks through the connections giving each
bandwidth in turn then the one with more parallel connections will get
more of it.

Let's assume a link with 20 connections streaming.  If I add my own
then I am number 21 and everyone will get 1/21 of the bandwidth.  But
if instead I open 50 connections and transfer in parallel then
20+50=70 and each connection getting 1/70th of the bandwidth.  But
since 50 of those are mine I get 50/70 of the bandwidth for my own
data and each of the other 20 users get 1/70 for those other 20 users.

I say this based upon experience with software that relied upon this
behavior transferring big data in my previous career.  It's been a few
years but we had the same issue and a very similar solution back then.
Someone hacked together a process to chop up big data files and
transparently send them in parallel assembling them on the remote end.
At the time for our case it was leased lines between sites.  Using
this technique one group was able to get high priority data transferred
between sites faster.  Faster by slowing down the other people in the
company who were also transferring data across the same network links.
But this was good because the high priority data had priority.

Whether that is good or bad depends upon all of the details.  If the
connection is my network, or my group's network, and this is the
priority task, then this is a good way to make use of more bandwidth.
Think of it like Quality of Service tuning.  If on the other hand it
is me borrowing someone else's network and I am negatively impacting
them, then maybe not so good.  For example if I were downloading data
in my home neighborhood and preventing my neighbors from streaming
video during this time of "stay-at-home let's defeat the COVID-19
virus" then that would be a bad and unfair use.  It's neither good nor
bad intrinsically but just how it is used that is important.

I am thinking that this improves bandwidth for one connection by
implementing parallel connections which allows a greater share of the
bandwidth.  I might be completely wrong here.  It's just my thought
from sitting back in my comfy chair while staying at home to defeat
the virus.  And you asked for any thoughts...

Bob