Deprecation of scp protocol and improving sftp client

Michael Stone mstone at cs.loyola.edu
Fri Aug 7 23:32:32 AEST 2020

On Wed, Aug 05, 2020 at 11:03:41AM +0200, Jakub Jelen wrote:
> At this moment, downloading files using sftp works the same as with
> scp:
>
>    sftp localhost:/tmp/scp.c /tmp/tmp
>
> Extending sftp to work the same way for uploading files to avoid the
> above mess should be also pretty easy and would cover the most common
> use cases.

yes, but in 20 years nobody has gotten around to it. :)

> Getting complete feature-parity with scp would be another feat though.

I don't think many people want *complete* feature parity, and that's
probably impossible to do without reintroducing the same security issues
as scp. What would make sftp a viable replacement is simply supporting
sending and receiving files with optional permission preservation and
recursion (99.9% of what scp is used for). sftp is most of the way
there, but if someone can't send a file with a simple sftp invocation
they'll just keep using scp.