Tunneling as a non-root user

Travis Hayes travis.hayes at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 13:26:38 AEST 2020

I’m setting up a Linux machine (CentOS7) and am trying to allow tap/tun tunneling.

Our organization’s security policy prohibits root logins.
Using OpenSSH server 7.4 (as provided by the CentOS repositories) non-root users are able to open tunnels as long as the sshd_config has The setting UsePrivilegeSeparation=no.

All is well, but I wonder what security risks I am taking by disabling the separation.

Also, I would like to update to a more current version of the server for security as well as for the SSH_TUNNEL environment variable introduced in 7.7, but the UsePrivilegeSeparation option has been deprecated and a current version (8.3p) refuses to run with that option present in the config file. Removing the option, the ioctl() to create the tun/tap interface fails, just like with 7.4.

Now that privilege separation is a requirement, is the only way forward to allow root logins and authorize the client users by copying their public key into root’s authorized_keys file?

If this is the case, I would be giving up per-user auditing, requiring keys instead of password (or PAM-based) authentication, as well as the ability to use Match blocks to control which users/groups/hosts are allowed to create tunnels and which are allowed normal sessions.

Is this on the roadmap for future consideration?

-Thanks,

 Travis