SSH certificates - restricting to host groups

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Sat Feb 1 04:10:38 AEDT 2020

On 31/01/2020 16:47, Michael Ströder wrote:
> I'm not sure I get your reasoning why having longer cert validity period
> makes things easier for the user. IMHO the opposite is true.

I wasn't saying it was easier for users - only as part of a potential
migration strategy.

Today, people use private keys stored on their hard drives, and
~/.ssh/authorized_keys on remote host.  So the plan I currently have in
my head is:

Step 1: turn on cert authentication with an offline manual CA. Start
using it for automated processes.  (My primary driver for rolling out
certs is to avoid installing an ansible master key in
/root/.ssh/authorized_keys on all servers; instead I will roll out
TrustedUserCAKeys)

Step 2: give end users a manually-issued medium-lifetime cert to sit
alongside their existing private key.

Step 3: start ripping out ~/.ssh/authorized_keys, and deal with the
breakage (e.g. finding hidden automated processes which rely on static
keys, and replace them with certs)

Step 4: build and roll out the infrastructure for issuing short-lived
user keys and certs dynamically

Somewhere along the line: do the signing of host keys.  (Probably as
part of step 1, as I have to push out the new ssh configs anyway).