Identify multiple users doing reverse port FWD with their pubkeys

Clément Péron peron.clem at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 01:48:21 AEDT 2020

Hi Jochen,

On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 at 14:54, Jochen Bern <Jochen.Bern at binect.de> wrote:

> On 02/12/2020 12:00 PM, Clément Péron wrote:

> >> The auth happens when the device opens the SSH connection, and if your
> >> logging verbosity is high enough, the pubkey's fingerprint will be
> >> written to the log. If you really need to identify *the pubkey*, you'll
> >> have to grab the PID of the sshd process holding the reverse port (can
> >> be gleaned from the output of "{netstat,ss} -natp") and then search
> >> through the logs for the lines of when it got started.
> >
> > Thanks for the solution, Indeed it will works but it's not really
> > proper, I would like to find a way like having a different parameter
> > for each pubkey in the authorized key file and then be able to
> > identify which device did the established connection.
>
> The parameters in the Authorized_Keys File Format that promise an
> ability to carry over ~30 different values into the running process
> (rather than being used only by sshd itself in the login / tunnel setup
> process, and then forgotten) are command=, environment=, and tunnel=.
>
> *If* you can throw command= at the pubkeys in question (you AFAIR did
> not yet say what the devices do with the actual login, so I assumed that
> they might need/get a general shell), you've pretty much won; add an
> (ignored) parameter to the command, make a command/executable that sets
> an env var or massages $0, add/remove an entry in some lookup table as
> the executable starts/terminates, whatever.

Actually my AuthorizedKeysFile is an AuthorizedKeysCommand that
connect to an API and get if the public keys are allowed or not.
So I can easily manage to add a "command=" or "environement=" for each
device and adding their "real-name".

Do you think about something like this?
If for device-1 I do something like this.
command="echo $(date) >> device.log; echo device-1-pid:$$ >>
device.log; sh;" ssh-rsa AAA......

Then I can see in device.log
Wed Feb 12 15:43:05 CET 2020
device-1-pid:5080

And from "sudo netstat -natp"
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:43867         0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN      5079/sshd: device

There is a small mismatch between the PID of the command shell and the
sshd command.

> environment= is IMHO useless for this scenario, because unless you
> *also* use command=, the logged-in user can manipulate env vars any way
> he wants.

But the user can also disable the command with -NT (or maybe I'm wrong here?).
I think I can assume that's all my device can be trusted to execute
the command when they connect.

> tunnel= sets up / removes a /dev/tun* device, that's quite a bit of
> overhead just to get the info you want ... :-}
>
> Still, *if* you can identify devices by their client IP (*and if* you do
> the lookup on the server with root privileges, which is IMHO a necessity
> to get info that the devices cannot falsify), I'ld still recommend to
> just two-pass parse the output of "netstat/ss -natp", first to get the
> sshd's PID from the LISTEN for the reverse port, then to get the
> ESTABLISHED SSH connection with the client IP.

client IP are not stable, so I can't use this solution :(

Thanks a lot for your help!
Clement