Why are the arguments supplied for the command run through ssh interpreted by shell before they are passed to the command on the server side?

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Mon Jan 13 07:08:33 AEDT 2020

On 2020-01-12 11:41, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> The wording could need some translation by a native speaker, but the
> idea of this feature request is certainly sound.

This was English, not German, BTW.

> Of course you’d lose the ability to run multiple commands, redirect
> I/O, etc. when using your proposed flag.

You would lose the ability to redirect I/O in an immediate way, but you
would always be able to run a shell command like "/bin/sh" "-c"
"any-command | tee cmd.log | process-further" which would regain the
ability to do everything that a shell can do.

The problem from my original message, the ability to pass an arbitrary
shell script to a remote host, would become trivial.

Best,

Yuri