Adding SNI support to SSH

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Jan 14 05:55:04 AEDT 2020

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 03:16:00PM +0000, Jochen Bern wrote:
> Out of interest:
> 1. If an extended mechanism were to be implemented, which server pubkey
>    do you expect to be seen/stored/verified by the client? The proxy's
>    / v4 middlebox's, or the v6 backend's? Or would you require that all
>    server-side machines use the *same* host keypairs?

I'd do the "SNI" part before exchanging server host keys ("just as it is
done in https, for good reason").  That way, every backend can have its
own key.  The "middle box" would see some unencrypted handshake, but
afterwards would have no more knowledge of the connection than any
IP router or proxy in the path.

Actually *doing* it sounds like you need a protocol change (more than
"just an option after the key handshake"), as the server sends it
"SSH-2.0..." message first, which would have to be deferred until the
client tells it where it wants to connect to... so, not really trivial
(and back to square one, might take longer to roll out upgraded clients
than to roll out v6 to those clients).

gert