Security implications of using ControlMaster

Nico Schottelius nico.schottelius at ungleich.ch
Tue Jan 21 01:37:10 AEDT 2020

Hey Konrad,

if the box is root compromised, anything you do on it is untrusted.

So you cannot use ssh or even type in any password into any of the
existing tool without likely leaking it to the attacker. She could even
have patched the (g)libc to forward input, so even a correct ssh binary
doesn't ensure your data is not compromised.

So disabling ControlMaster does not fix the problem your SM described.

Cheers,

Nico

--
Modern, affordable, Swiss Virtual Machines. Visit www.datacenterlight.ch