OpenSSH not requesting touch on FIDO keys (was: OpenSSH not requesting PIN code for YubiKey)

Domenico Andreoli cavokz at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 18:26:53 AEST 2020

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 01:12:10PM +1000, Damien Miller wrote:

> > > ssh-agent will prompt via $SSH_ASKPASS if you have it configured.
> >
> > Evidently my setup has some problem, I don't see any dialog. I'll
> > investigate. Thanks.
>
> Common problems:
>
> 1) you might not be running OpenSSH's ssh-agent. Some desktop environments
>    will silently start their own, with varying levels of compatibility
>
> 2) Not starting ssh-agent with $DISPLAY set
>
> 3) Not having an askpass program at the path that ssh-agent expects
>    or not having $SSH_ASKPASS pointing (again, before starting the agent)

Managed to make it work. Nice! Thanks again.

Now, all the perfectly good use cases that do not have a running desktop
are left without a screen notification. Any ideas for these?

Another issue, the current ssh-askpass solution does not give any hint
of which application is requesting the confirmation. It's then possible
to race with a malicious application and get the confirmation first.

Dom

--
rsa4096: 3B10 0CA1 8674 ACBA B4FE  FCD2 CE5B CF17 9960 DE13
ed25519: FFB4 0CC3 7F2E 091D F7DA  356E CC79 2832 ED38 CB05