Help with ssh -A, screen, ssh -a, detach, logout

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Fri Jun 5 04:00:53 AEST 2020

Hi,

raf wrote:
> If I ssh-with-agent-forwarding from one host to a
> second host, and on the second host use something like
> nohup/screen/tmux/daemon, and from within that new
> process session, start a long-running command via
> ssh-without-agent-forwarding on a third host, I would
> expect to be able to (e.g.) detach from the screen
> session and log out of the second host,

I do this every now and then and for me it works exactly as expected.

I don't see the behavior you describe.

>   host1 ssh: OpenSSH_8.1p1, OpenSSL 1.1.1g  21 Apr 2020
>   host2 ssh: OpenSSH_7.4p1 Debian-10+deb9u7, OpenSSL 1.0.2u  20 Dec 2019
>   host3 ssh: OpenSSH_7.4p1 Debian-10+deb9u7, OpenSSL 1.0.2u  20 Dec 2019

I never use debian, only systems with upstream OpenSSH-portable.

So I'd suggest to try to reproduce with a host2 (and possibly also host3)
that runs vanilla OpenSSH-portable, without distribution patches.

You could even use host1 as host2 and host3 for testing.

Kind regards

//Peter