Another question about this shell magic...

Lars Noodén lars.nooden at gmx.com
Fri Oct 2 13:22:23 AEST 2020

On 10/2/20 5:46 AM, Damien Miller wrote:
[snip]
> In this case, the helper is probably looking at the contents of your
> ~/.ssh/known_hosts or, with less likelihood, ~/.ssh/config's
> Host/Match configuration. I don't mind these, though they can be
> pretty brittle in the face of ssh_config aliases and HashKnownHosts
> settings, etc.
[snip]

In the case of zsh [1] and its tab completion for tools in the OpenSSH
suite, it seems to be looking at both known_hosts and ssh_config among
other things, but only the local versions not the global versions.  It
can take guesses at account names and not just host names.

/Lars

[1] http://zsh.sourceforge.net/

git clone git://git.code.sf.net/p/zsh/code

See:	./code/Completion/Unix/Command/_ssh