SSH client and bracketed paste mode

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Sat Oct 31 07:55:44 AEDT 2020

halfdog wrote:
> I tried to figure out, which of the three involved components
> might be at fault. The component stack is:
>
> * terminal
> * local shell
> * ssh
> * remote shell

Note that the recent bash 5.1rc1 is testing with bracketed-paste-mode
enabled by default for the first time.  If you have upgraded recently
then that is the most likely change which has triggered this new
behavior.  (It's the new reverse video paste and region which cause
problems for me.)

You might try putting

    set enable-bracketed-paste off

into your libreadline configuration ~/.inputrc file to see if that
changes what happens for you.  That would isolate the change to bash
5.1rc1 enabling this mode by default in that test release.

Bob