Human readable .ssh/known_hosts?

Darren Tucker dtucker at dtucker.net
Wed Sep 30 10:22:45 AEST 2020

On Tue, 29 Sep 2020 at 23:16, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> I gave up on $HOME/.ssh/known_hosts a *long* time ago, because if
> servers are DHCP distributed without static IP addresses they can wind
> up overlapping IP addresses with mismatched hostkeys

You can set CheckHostIP=no in your config.  As long as the names don't
change it'll do what you want, and it's far safer than what you
suggest.

[...]
> This has been the case since SSH-1 was written in 1995.

CheckHostIP was added to OpenSSH in 1999 before the first release and
has been in every release since:
https://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/usr.bin/ssh/readconf.c.diff?r1=1.7&r2=1.8&f=h

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at dtucker.net)
GPG key 11EAA6FA / A86E 3E07 5B19 5880 E860  37F4 9357 ECEF 11EA A6FA (new)