Finding a resident key stored in an agent without a corresponding file?

Lars Noodén lars.nooden at gmx.com
Fri Apr 9 15:34:04 AEST 2021

On 3/23/21 7:17 AM, Damien Miller wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Mar 2021, Lars Noodén wrote:
>
>> I have a question about SK keys when there are more than 6 keys in the
>> agent.
[snip]
> A slightly-terrible workaround might be to download all the keys to the
> agent and delete the "wrong" ones.

Thanks.  Here are two more work-arounds.

One work-around is to use a one-off agent for just the one key.

$ ssh-agent zsh

% ssh-add -K
Enter PIN for authenticator:
Resident identity added: ED25519-SK
SHA256:Arx/LPnXEhOvBQBQXpGc3J/ToyjQ7VA5IFcabx6GMcQ

% ssh -o IdentitiesOnly=no 10.10.10.100

Another option, looking at it some more, is to identify the key using
just the public key even if the private key is absent from the file
system.  So that's sort of a another work-around.

$ ssh -i ~/.ssh/id_ed25519_sk.pub 10.10.10.100

/Lars