ssh-copy-id vs PasswordAuthentication no

Jakub Jelen jjelen at redhat.com
Fri Dec 10 00:04:20 AEDT 2021

On 12/9/21 10:21, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> to support "PasswordAuthentication no" it might be undesirable
> to add new users with an initial password in /etc/passwd.
>
> I wonder if it would be possible to support a "destination user"
> option on the ssh-copy-id command line, e.g.
>
>      ssh-copy-id -i somepath/id_ed25519.pub -u systemuser1 root at newhost
>
> to add the pubkey to ~systemuser1/.ssh/authorized_keys on the
> remote host?

This would be a RFE on the repository for the ssh-copy-id:

https://gitlab.com/phil_hands/ssh-copy-id/

There is already which asks for someething similar:

https://gitlab.com/phil_hands/ssh-copy-id/-/issues/3

Contributions would be certainly welcomed.

Regards,
--
Jakub Jelen
Crypto Team, Security Engineering