ssh-copy-id vs PasswordAuthentication no

Jochen Bern Jochen.Bern at binect.de
Sun Dec 12 08:52:13 AEDT 2021

On 09.12.21 22:17, TJ Saunders wrote:
>> I wonder whether "please add this pubkey for target user X (without
>> telling me which file exactly it went into), after I auth for either X
>> or root" would be suitably well-defined a task to roll a standardized
>> API + Subsystem implementation that a remote rollout tool would have to
>> only throw auth, username and pubkey at?
>
> Something like the "publickey" SSH subsystem?
>    https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4819.txt

(... which seems to be implemented as an OpenSSH-compatible server-side
add-on:

https://github.com/grawity/ssh-publickeyd

*possibly* - I find the statement's wording rather confusing - in JunOS:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/us/en/software/junos/standards/topics/concept/system-access.html

and in a number of clients, but *not* the OpenSSH one.)

Nice ... but the spec covers only the case of managing an account's
authorized_keys *when authenticating for the account itself*, not the
scenario of the sysadmin generating the account on a
no-passwords-permitted system, or having to remove pubkeys of
compromised keypairs or a user losing access ...

P.S.: And I see (only) "~/.ssh/authorized_keys" hardcoded into
ssh-publickeyd as well ... :-/

Regards,
--
Jochen Bern