FreeBSD change for openssh

Mike Karels karels at freebsd.org
Fri Dec 17 11:56:12 AEDT 2021

Darren Tucker <dtucker at dtucker.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2021 at 10:11, Darren Tucker <dtucker at dtucker.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 17 Dec 2021 at 09:05, Mike Karels <karels at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > [...]
> > > I haven't seen any other comments.  Can you commit this?  If not, what
> > > is the procedure to get it committed?
> >
> > Leaving aside the implementation details, the whole concept seems
> > questionable to me.

> To be specific: the concept I find questionable is repurposing (most
> of) 127.0.0.0/8 as global unicast addresses.

Neither this change, nor the larger set of changes I'm making in FreeBSD,
redefine the loopback network.  FreeBSD has had an IN_LOOPBACK macro for
years, with essentially the same definition as the default I provided.
The goal of my changes is to reduce the knowledge of the obsolete Class
A/B/C network structure as much as possible.  It is true that this change
makes it easier to change the system definition of the loopback network,
but I am not doing that.  It seems to me to be preferable for programs like
OpenSSH to use system definitions where possible, and not to hard-code
things like the definition of the loopback network.

		Mike