Tiny usability problem with ControlMaster

raf ssh at raf.org
Sat Feb 6 08:49:43 AEDT 2021

On Fri, Feb 05, 2021 at 03:51:56PM +0100, Christian Hesse <mail at eworm.de> wrote:

> raf <ssh at raf.org> on Thu, 2021/01/28 14:53:
> > I've been using ControlMaster, ControlPath and
> > ControlPersist in my ~/.ssh/config for a little while
> > now, and I've noticed a tiny problem that I'd like to
> > fix.
>
> Is ControlPath set to a relative path? Just change that to an absolute path
> that is always available and writable for your user.
> --
> Best regards,
> Chris

ControlPath is already set to an absolute path: ~/.sshctl/%C

That's not the issue. There is no problem with the
ControlPath being used (i.e. available and writable).

The issue is that the long-running ssh process that
keeps the control socket open is retaining the current
working directory that it started with, rather than
changing directory to / (or the directory containing
the contol path) so as to avoid hampering umounts. So
when that current directory is on a removeable drive's
file system, it can become impossible to unmount that
file system without first killing that ssh process.

cheers,
raf