SRV lookup support (Bugzilla 2217)

Jochen Bern Jochen.Bern at binect.de
Fri Feb 19 10:03:30 AEDT 2021

On 18.02.21 20:22, James Bottomley wrote:
> SRV is used as a requirement by several protocols today.  Xmpp simply
> won't work without them unless you happen to have a lucky domain setup
> and matrix could use the .well-known/ URL instead, but having SRV
> records is required for setups where WWW isn't run on the domain URL.

While I very much agree that any protocol/service that insists on pwning
your domain name in the DNS *deserves* the eternal punishment of having
to support a personal fix for their hubris (a la SMTP and MX RRs), I do
*not* agree that SRVs are "required" to run a webserver today.

Through three different web design outfits and their favorite hosters
now, I have successfully upheld that binect.de points to an IP *we*
control and run a HTTP+HTTPS redirector to www.binect.de (and whatever
other stuff we want to be available as "binect.de") on. (Having your
content appear under a *single* FQDN is actually good for your SEO.)

Also, the range of "web browsers" is a tad too large - from FF, Edge and
the like to Konqueror to elinks and lynx to cURL and wget to debugging
with plain "telnet" or "openssl s_client" - to *consistently* obey SRV
RRs anytime soon.

Regards,
--
Jochen Bern