Doing something with OS fingerprint?

Darren Tucker dtucker at dtucker.net
Sun Feb 21 23:01:06 AEDT 2021

On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 at 16:45, Stef Bon <stefbon at gmail.com> wrote:
> If this information is available it's possible to adjust behaviour (a
> little) to meet the peer's flaws and maybe bugs. Have you ever thought
> about that?

a) that's quite platform specific and b) even if you got the
information I doubt it would be of use.  The operating system is at
best a weak indicator of what the peer SSH implementation is, and the
implementations are where the bugs/flaws you would potentially want to
work around are.

Multiple SSH implementations run on Linux.  Dropbear has been ported
to many of the same platforms as OpenSSH and often the choice is up to
each individual user.  PuTTY is probably the most popular SSH client
implementation on Windows, but OpenSSH has also been ported to Windows
multiple times in multiple ways; by the same token PuTTY has been
ported to many Unix variants including Linux.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at dtucker.net)
GPG key 11EAA6FA / A86E 3E07 5B19 5880 E860  37F4 9357 ECEF 11EA A6FA (new)